SDLC for databases as a part of nowadays DevOps (pre-conf)
Nowadays the DevOps is the topic number one in many industries and companies. However, in some case, you see that the code repository is or will be the most important topic. The number of tasks could be overwhelming at first glance, however, there is no other way - you have to use the new tools and solutions
The code repository term is not really new but the way it is integrated with the database world is still sometimes questioned. And there are a lot more than that just naming Continuous integration, Continuous Delivery or Continuous Deployment.
I would like to show you tools to efficiently manage database projects (SQL Server Data Tools), how to start working with projects, how to deal with problems you will probably see during daily operations and how to configure and manage the projects' deployment process on different environments.
We will go to the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) process in great details from the database point of view. But we will not spend too much time on analysis but rather on the development part. I would like to show the usage of the Azure DevOps application.
Of course, there will be an entire module about best practices and how to efficiently use them in the database projects.
In the end, I would like to touch the cloud and show how to migrate the existing on-premises database to the Microsoft Azure SQL Database and how no to get into troubles.
After attending the workshop you will be able to do & know:
* create empty or import existing databases
* resolve various problems during the import of database
* manage database project and its objects
* handling CLR objects
* store data in a project (static data, master, etc.)
* what should be a part of a project and what shouldn't (Linked Servers, security)
* where and how to keep SQL Jobs
* split database project into more chunks and why it's required sometimes
* cope with unlimited amount of projects
* Avoid known issues like: temp tables, triggers, circular references, OPENQUERY, lack of validation
* Migrate project to Microsoft Azure (Cloud!)
* Use a hybrid approach
* Apply tSQLt Unit Tests
* Make a deployment manually and automatically (Azure DevOps)
* Distinguish (finally) all three types of "Continuous"
* some helpful PowerShell scripts
We are going to go through commercial tools as well as some tips & tricks.
Basic knowledge about: TSQL, Visual Studio & Azure DevOps;
The workshop will be done in the Visual Studio 2022 with the newest SSDT installed but you can use older version of the Visual Studio as well.
You can take your laptop with you as some of the task I'm going to do with you!
You will have access to all codes and slide deck.
Each participant of the workshop will get full, lifetime access to my "Database projects with SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT)" course worth $195 on my platform "Learn with SQLPlayer".
Blogger, Speaker, Microsoft Data Platform MVP. Group Manager & Analytics Architect. MCSE Data Management and Analytics
London, United Kingdom