The web platform is versatile, capable, and can go far beyond the browser tab while keeping its open and universal nature. We call “progressive” the web apps built using the latest browser APIs to achieve a new level of user experience. In this framework-agnostic workshop, we’ll convert a "classic" web application to progressive using Workbox 6 - the latest version of the service worker automation library. So you can do the same with an app you or your company is developing now!
During this hands-on task-based training you will learn about:
- Progressive Web App concept pillars
- Service Worker API fundamentals
- Current platforms' PWA support (and workarounds when needed)
- Workbox library - an industry-standard in the automation of network-related PWA tasks
On the practical side, every participant will build an app which is:
- Installable on all modern desktop and mobile operating systems
- Offline-ready: the app itself, smart caching strategies for the data it consumes, and network-resilient data sending
- Ready for being extended by the next PWA features coming to the web
- Following the modern web development flows for building a service worker
Also, I share lots of practical tips & tricks, both technical and UX, review real-life PWA examples, explain how to avoid common pitfalls, and how to deal with edge cases.
- Part 1
- Setting the goal and introducing the PWA concept
- Basics of the Service Worker API
- Introducing Workbox and setting up its infrastructure
- Registering a service worker in the app
- Part 2
- Building an application shell
- Implementing a smart app update flow
- Introducing caching strategies for runtime data
- Quick setup of extra features using Workbox recipes
- Part 3
- Replaying requests made offline
- Making an app installable
- Review of other APIs to build a native-like app
- Questions and answers
- The knowledge of any framework(s) is not required
You need a laptop with installed (latest stable versions)
- Git, Node, NPM
- Browsers Chrome and/or Edge, optionally - Firefox
A week before the workshop you will receive a link with the initial repo to clone and detailed setup instructions.
Maxim Salnikov is an Oslo-based cloud and web front-end geek with a strong passion for developer community building. He architects and builds complex web applications since the end of the last century, and has extensive experience with all aspects of the web platform, focusing on apps managing real-time data from IoT devices, and Progressive Web Apps. He is a Google Developer Expert in Web Technologies & IoT, and a former Microsoft MVP in Development Technologies.
Maxim is a founder and active contributor to two conferences: Mobile Era and ngVikings - Nordics' main conferences for mobile and Angular developers respectively. Also, he leads Norway's largest meetups dedicated to web front-end and mobile: Angular Oslo, Mobile Meetup, Oslo PWA, Framsia.
Maxim is passionate about sharing his web platform experience and knowledge with the community. He travels extensively for visiting developer events and speaking/training at conferences and meetups around the world.
Invite me to speak at your event using this form: http://bit.ly/maxim-salnikov-speaker-request
Maxim Salnikov is an Oslo-based cloud and web front-end geek who builds web applications since the end of the last century and shares his extensive experience with many aspects of the web platform by speaking/training at developer events around the world and running his own conferences & meetups. He is actively exploring new features of the web and the idea of progressive web applications (PWA) in particular.
For Angular events:
Maxim Salnikov is an Oslo-based cloud and web front-end geek. He builds web applications since the end of the last century and shares his extensive experience with many aspects of the web platform by speaking/training at developer events around the world. To introduce Angular to the developer community, Maxim is running his own technical events including ngVikings conference, Angular Oslo meetup, and ngCommunity gathering.
For cloud events:
Maxim Salnikov is an Oslo-based cloud and tech community geek. He is a webdev maestro who builds apps since the end of the last century and shares his extensive web platform experience by speaking & training at developer events around the world. Daytime, Maxim is boosting cloud skills at the country scale by leading developer engagement in Microsoft Norway. In the evenings, you'll find him organizing the country's main web & mobile meetups, and two full-scale tech conferences.