Meet Jewel: create IDE plugins in Compose 🤌
Jetpack Compose is the declarative UI toolkit for Android that makes it easy to create beautiful, responsive apps. However, until recently, there was no easy way to use Compose to create IDE plugins without too many compromises. Jewel is a new library that solves this problem by providing a set of tools and components that make it easy to create Compose for Desktop-based plugins for Android Studio and IntelliJ IDEA.
In this talk, we will introduce Jewel and show you how to use it to create your own IDE plugins. The session will cover the following topics:
* Why Compose makes a huge difference in IDE plugin development
* How to set up Compose in your IDE plugin project
* What's Jewel, a library implementing the IntelliJ themes and a composables
* What are the tradeoffs in using Compose and Jewel
* Case studies of existing implementations
* What's the future for Jewel and Compose as a plugin UI framework
This talk is intended for Android developers who are familiar with Compose but have never created an IDE plugin because they don't wanna learn Swing. By the end of this talk, you will have a good understanding of how to use Jewel to create your own Compose-based IDE plugins.
UX Engineer at Google working on Android Developer UX
Vicenza, ItalyView Speaker Profile